Sunday, May 25, 2014

PAINTING FROM LIFE

"Joel" by Stephanie Berry

I know I've been MIA from my blog for a month or so.  Sometimes life just gets in the way of painting.  Everything from being away to having visitors, spring yardwork, working extra hours and computer issues have occupied my time.  I'm hoping to get back on track.  (Did I say that last post?)  As all Mainers know summer is fleeting here and any nice day needs to be appreciated to the fullest.  So IF we get some nice days I probably won't be inside painting.  

I did make it to life drawing a few times this spring.  This is my setup for painting there.  I clip a canvas panel or sheet of canvas to my drawing board.  It makes for easy transport of a wet painting.  For our last session of the season Joel was our model.  I was okay with this portrait of him.  Painting from life is more fun and stays looser than using a reference.

20x16" oil on masonite    copyright 2014

2 comments:

Page Railsback said...

Your blog posts look very good. Keep painting

hmuxo said...

Excellent painting! Someday I'll try life drawing.
I did once and it wasn't successful...lol. you did a beautiful job with him....